Written by Edna Walsh, with music by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglová
Performance dates March 3-12, 2023
at The Warwick Theatre
Nine performances are planned.
ONCE tells the story of a guy who has given up on love and music, and the girl who inspires him to dream again. The show is based on the motion picture of the same title. Set in Dublin, the musical is about the relationship between an Irish street musician/Hoover vacuum repairman whose heart stops in its tracks when he meets a Czech pianist with a vacuum needing repair. It is the story of two people who share a moment in time that changes them forever.
We are looking for actors who sing and play an instrument at the professional level, in the general genre of pop/folk. Loren Bridge will be our Music Director.
PLEASE NOTE: The role of GIRL has already been cast. All other roles are available. All ethnicities are encouraged to audition.
• GIRL, Female, 20-35, mezzo soprano; direct, intelligent, no nonsense and witty. Should have something ‘other’ about her. Has had to work hard at life but doesn't think she deserves any sympathy. Must play the piano and sing extremely well. Should have a strong Czech (Eastern European) accent.
• GUY, Male, 30-39, baritone; a busker who, after suffering a painful breakup has decided to give up on his music and has resigned himself to living a life as a vacuum machine repairman and living along above his dad's shop; brooding and charismatic. Must play the guitar and sing extremely well. Should have a strong Irish accent.
• BILLY, Male, 30-49, baritone; a large Irish man. Owner of the music store where Girl plays piano. Loud, funny, and protective of Girl but also has a vulnerability. Must sing and play guitar well. Should have a strong Irish accent. (If following the original production casting, Billy also plays Ukelele, Cajon, Snare Drum)
• REZA, Female, 25-29, Soprano; a sexy, funny, smart Czech girl. Often a bit larger than life. Must sing well and ability to play violin/fiddle is a bonus. Should have a strong Czech (Eastern European) accent.
• BARUSKA, Female, 45+, alto; mother of Girl. A cool but caring Czech mother who likes a full house and full stomachs. Not many inhibitions. Must sing and should play the accordion/piano well. Should have a strong Czech (Eastern European) accent. (If following the original production casting, Baruska plays piano, accordion, Tambourine, Melodica).
• BANK MANAGER, Males & Females, 30-49, tenor/alto; seems quite prim and proper but has a secret passion for music. Must sing and play guitar & cello well. Should have a strong Irish (Cork) accent.
• DA, Male, 50+, baritone; Guy's dad. A man of few words, but a lovely and caring father. Should play guitar, ukulele/mandolin well. Should have a strong Irish accent.
• SVEC, Male, 20-39, baritone; a real odd ball. Loves television and coffee. Playing guitar & drum kit well is a plus. Should have a strong Czech (Eastern European) accent. (If following the original production casting, Svec plays Banjo, Guitar, Mandolin, Drum Set).
• ANDREJ, Male, 20-29, baritone; earnest and kind. It works well if he has a slight build, made slighter by his oversized interview suit. An employee at a fast-food chain but has big dreams. Should play guitar & bass guitar extremely well. Should also have a strong Czech (Eastern European) accent. (If following the original production casting, Andrej plays Electric Bass, Ukelele, Tambourine, Cajon, Guitar)
• EAMON, Male, 20-49, baritone; the music studio manager where Guy and Girl record their album. A tough nut to crack but eventually gives into the musician’s talents. Must sing well; playing guitar (& piano) well is a plus. (If following the original production casting, Eamon plays Guitar, Piano, Melodica and Harmonica). Should have a strong Irish accent.
• EMCEE, Male, 20-49, baritone; the emcee at a bar. A good-natured ball buster. Must sing well, playing guitar (& piano) well is a plus. Should have a strong Irish accent.
• EX-GIRLFRIEND, Female, 20-39, mezzo-soprano; Guy's ex-girlfriend who now lives in New York. Kind, lovely and likeable. Playing violin well is a plus. Should have a strong Irish accent.
• IVANKA, Female. 7-10, mezzo-soprano; the sweet-natured daughter of Girl, should be comfortable on stage and to have the ability to sing. Note: Should be between 40 and 45 inches tall.
Please prepare a short video that will consist of singing 16-32 bars of a song of your choice and showing your facility on your instrument (we have a grand piano at the theatre).
Next, submit your video with your resume & headshot to email@example.com, and we’ll set up a time for you to read for a role.
Don't wait! Video submissions must be in by January 18.
Callbacks to occur during the week following, with casting to be completed by January 25.
Rehearsals will take place Mondays through Thursdays, between 6-10 pm. Some daytime weekend rehearsals will be scheduled. During tech week, rehearsals will be longer to accommodate tech.
For more information, call 816-569-3226. Please leave your name, what role you are interested in reading for, and your contact information. You will be called back, and an appointment set up for you.
We Are Coming